- Bennington Review; "Everybody Dies" (forthcoming fiction)
- The Rumpus; "Removed" (forthcoming essay)
- Michigan Quarterly Review; "Absolute Zero"
- Necessary Fiction; "For Science"—a Longform fiction pick of the week.
- The Pinch 2017 Literary Contest; "Soldier's Joy"—2nd runner-up
- StoryQuarterly 50th Issue; "Song for Unbelievers"—a 2016 StoryQuarterly Fiction Prize runner-up
- Split Lip Magazine FAM Issue; "They Call Them Budding Toes"
- Barely South Review; "Frannie and Her Cello Get Jumped"
- Front Porch Journal; "Melt"
- Joyland; "Vivisection"
- Green Mountains Review; "Vespers"
- The East Bay Review; "Model Home" —Nominated for a 2016 Pushcart Prize.
- Blunderbuss Magazine; "Structural Integrity" (also featured in translation in the Swedish journal of prose, Kapitel Magazine)
- Slice Magazine; "Marginalia" (Issue 18)
2015 & 2014
- The Adirondack Review; "When You Hear the Call of the Lotto Man" — runner-up for the Fulton Prize for Short Fiction
- Pithead Chapel; "Tinge" (V4, Issue 11)
- Split Lip Magazine; "Of Two Minds" (Issue 14) — a Longform pick for Best of 2015 in Fiction; Finalist for a 2015 Best of the Net award
- Reed Magazine; "Minor Atrocities" (Issue 68)
- Crack the Spine; "We Are All So Young and Lively" (Issue 148)
- Bartleby Snopes; "Necrotic Zone"
- Sakura Review; "Rupture" (Issue 5)
Essays / Craft Writing
- Reading into a Writer’s Life: James Carver Wants to Set Some Things Straight About His Brother Raymond; Carve Magazine blog.
- How to Write Killer Endings; Carve Magazine blog.
- Five Ways to Stand Out in the Slush Pile (Without Gimmicks); Carve Magazine blog.
- How to Write When You Feel Like You Can't; Carve Magazine blog.
- Tell Me More: Creating Suspense with Information; Carve Magazine blog.
- 3 Rules to Writing Commanding Sex Scenes; Carve Magazine blog.
- 2017 The Pinch Literary Contest — 2nd runner-up
- 2016 StoryQuarterly Fiction Prize — 2nd runner-up, judge Alexander Chee
- Best of 2015 in Fiction on Longform.org
- The Fulton Prize for Short Fiction at The Adirondack Review — runner-up (2015)
- Pushcart Prize — nominee (2016)
- storySouth Million Writers Award — nominee (2016)
- Best of the Net 2015, Sundress Publications — finalist
- Carve Magazine's First Annual Blog Contest — Winner (October 2015)
- Crack the Spine: Wordsmith Interview, May 15, 2015
- Longform Fiction Pick of the Week (April 2015)
- Katherine Anne Porter Fiction Prize at UMD — Honorable Mentions (2010, 2011)